Dan Savages the Bible and Christians on Anti-Gay Bullying
by Trent Gilliss, senior editor
This video of the popular syndicated columnist Dan Savage speaking at a high school journalism conference in Seattle is generating some impassioned (to put it mildly) comments on YouTube. The creator of the “It Gets Better” video project spoke to aspiring young journalists on April 13 about “alternative media, social media, and creating a movement against bullying,” which turned into a bit of a profane rant against the core source of belief for Christians: the Bible. A number of students walked out; a number of students laughed and cheered.
In response to the backlash from believers and non-believers alike, Mr. Savage responded on The Stranger’s Slog blog, “I would like to apologize for describing that walk out as a pansy-assed move. I wasn’t calling the handful of students who left pansies (2800+ students, most of them Christian, stayed and listened), just the walk-out itself.”
Here’s a transcript to accompany the video. Decide for yourself whether Mr. Savage’s comments were out of line or appropriate for the situation. Or, by upping the divisive rhetoric, I have to wonder if he furthered his aim of helping gay children and young adults from being harmed:
“The Bible. We’ll just talk about the Bible for a second. People often point out that they can’t help it. They can’t help with the anti-gay bullying because it says right there in Leviticus, it says right there in Timothy, it says right there in Romans that being gay is wrong.
We can learn to ignore the bulls**t in the Bible about gay people. The same way we have learned to ignore the bulls**t in the Bible about shellfish, about slavery, about dinner, about farming, about menstruation, about virginity, about masturbation. We ignore the bulls**t in the Bible about all sorts of things. The Bible is a radically pro-slavery document. Slaveowners waved Bibles over their heads during the Civil War, and justified it.
The shortest book in the New Testament is a letter from Paul to a Christian slaveowner about owning his Christian slave. And Paul doesn’t say, ‘Christians don’t own people.’ Paul talks about how Christians own people. We ignore what the Bible says about slavery because the Bible got slavery wrong.
Sam Harris in Letter to a Christian Nation points out that the Bible got the easiest moral question that humanity has ever faced wrong: slavery. What are the odds that the Bible got something as complicated as human sexuality wrong 100 percent.
The Bible says that if your daughter is not a virgin on her wedding night, if a woman isn’t a virgin on her wedding night, she shall be dragged to her father’s doorstep and stoned to death. Callista Gingrich lives. And there is no effort, there is no effort to amend state constitutions to make it legal to stone women to death on their wedding night, if they’re not virgins. At least not yet. We don’t know where the GOP is going these days.
People are dying because people can’t clear this one last hurdle. They can’t get past this one last thing in the Bible about homosexuality.
Umm, one other thing I want to talk about is… [laughs to himself] So you can tell the Bible guys in the hall that they can come back now because I’m done beating up the Bible.
[applause and cheers from audience]
It’s funny as someone who’s on the receiving end of beatings that are justified by the Bible, how pansy-a**ed some people react when you push back. So I apologize if I hurt anyone’s feelings… but, I have a right to defend myself and to point out the hypocrisy of people who justify anti-gay bigotry by pointing to the Bible and insisting we must live by the code of Leviticus on this one issue and no other.”
- manonthemoon84 reblogged this from americanpublicmedia and added:
- fuckkarma reblogged this from thepoetryofthesingularity
- ooakindness likes this
- cleverly-mischievous reblogged this from gatsby-00
- cleverly-mischievous likes this
- gatsby-00 reblogged this from aesalazar
- mhisadj likes this
- minneapolisatnite likes this
- teeeners likes this
- melissannehoneybee likes this
- megancyber reblogged this from americanpublicmedia
- oneirikokosmo reblogged this from beingblog
- oneirikokosmo likes this
- tha-real-her reblogged this from jen916 and added:
- iamthebkeeper reblogged this from beingblog
- iamthebkeeper likes this
- tha-real-her likes this
- jen916 reblogged this from beingblog
- baoyonce likes this
- mysterese likes this
- stealnotborrow likes this
- lachaim likes this
- thepoetryofthesingularity reblogged this from beingblog and added:
- kungfutofu reblogged this from beingblog
- kungfutofu likes this
- chels likes this
- gravitypullsoneveryone likes this
- allthingslive likes this
- arosetait reblogged this from beingblog
- thefirepartoffire reblogged this from beingblog
- anintrovertedlife likes this
- thedeepz reblogged this from americanpublicmedia and added:
- thedeepz likes this
- kathop53 likes this
- kayteesee likes this
- keanuquotes likes this
- aesalazar reblogged this from americanpublicmedia
- sydshine said: NOT out of line at all. Maybe a little blunt and aggressive, he’s speaking truth. Way to go Dan Savage!
- americanpublicmedia reblogged this from beingblog
- missmosnarylime likes this
- leaveitbehindforparis likes this
- zz00 likes this
- jbe200 reblogged this from beingblog
- droidtest reblogged this from beingblog
- jadeashlee reblogged this from beingblog
- citizenkerry likes this
- thecgast likes this
- beingblog posted this